Media Information Sheet
Download the Media Information Sheet
Pet ownership and rescue in Australia
There are more than 24 million pets in Australia today. Australia continues to have one of the highest household rates of pet ownership in the world. In 2016, 59% of cats were acquired through re-homing organisations, friends or neighbours and as strays. 33% of dogs were acquired through re-homing organisations, friends or neighbours. (source: Pet Ownership in Australia 2016 Report). Sadly, every year, more than 186,000 dogs and cats are left unclaimed in Australia’s pounds and shelters. (Source: PetRescue.com.au)
Thanks to the great work done by not for profit rescue groups and animal shelters organisations, the rate of animals being adopted or fostered by Australians has increased over the years. PetRescue helps rescue organisations reach the pet-seeking public by getting their adoptable pets online. Their website now receives 250 searches a minute from families around Australia who want to adopt a cat or dog or another companion animal.
Introducing the Jetpets Companion Animal Rescue Awards 2018
Cathy Beer, Founder of Pets4Life is the proud owner, producer and manager of the Companion Animal Rescue Awards, whose mission is to recognise and celebrate the most inspiring examples of rehabilitation and rehoming of companion animals Australia wide. Pets4Life is independent of the pet industry and rescue.
This year, Jetpets is our Platinum Rescue Hero and naming Partner. The awards is known as the ‘Jetpets Companion Animal Rescue Awards 2018’ or ‘Jetpets Rescue Awards’. The inaugural Awards will launch on 14th June 2018 with a special event in Sydney.
Our ‘pawsome’ supporters are: Jetpets, Bayer, Pets4Life, Purina, PetRescue, Ruff Diamonds, Refuel, G2Z, AIAM, Pet Problem Solved, Pet Insurance Australia, Rosehip Vital Canine, Greencross Vets, DOGUE, Where Pets Are Found, Jo Lyons Photography, Pound Paws, KONG, Woofmag, Love-em Treats, Life on the Hedge, AWAMO and K9Scentral.
There will be seven award categories, with one winner for each category. Award categories 1 – 6 are for rehoming organisations. Award category 7 is for Aussie pet guardians who have adopted or fostered a pet.
- Outstanding Rescue Group
- Outstanding Animal Shelter
- Outstanding Council Animal Shelter
- Innovation in Rescue
- Community Education and Outreach Program
- Volunteer of the Year
- Advocate® People’s Rescue Story
The judges for award categories 1 – 6 are:
- Nell Thompson is Coordinator for Getting To Zero (G2Z) whose mission is to reduce the number of treatable cat and dogs being euthanased in Australia.
- Vickie Davy, Co-Founder and joint CEO of PetRescue, a not for profit organisation that brings thousands of rescue pets face-to-face with thousands of potential adopters every day.
- Tim Vasudeva is Director of Corporate Affairs at Animals Australia. Tim spent two and a half years volunteering full-time with PetRescue and the Sydney Dogs and Cats Home, before he was appointed CEO of Animal Welfare League NSW in 2011 and subsequently CEO of RSPCA South Australia from 2013 to 2017.
- Dr Anthony Bennett is a veterinarian and co-star of Lifestyle Channel’s TV series Village Vets.
- Sandy Matheson is Founder & Managing Director of Jetpets, a pet travel company focused on the safety, comfort and welfare of pets.
- Dr Anne Fawcett is an Animal Welfare Veterinarian. Dr Anne’s blog is smallanimaltalk.com.
- Dr Michael O’Donoghue is a small animal veterinarian and Co-Founder of People and Pets, a nationwide pet loss counselling service.
There are two judges for award category 7, the Advocate® People’s Rescue Story and they are – Dan White, Bayer and Cathy Beer, Pets4Life.
|Pre-launch ‘Coming Soon’ media release||8th May 2018|
|Launch event at the Coal Loader, Sydney and media release||14th June 2018|
|Open for entries and media release||1st July to 31st August 2018|
|Finalists announced||9th October 2018|
|Winners announced and media release||Mid-October 2018|
Pets4Life is an independent education resource for cat and dog guardians and those who are thinking of getting a cat or dog. Our goal is to help reduce cat and dog surrender and improve pet well-being in Australia. Our mission is to help families make better choices and become even better pet guardians. Pets4Life’s eGuide: Before You Get A Dog – 8 essential tips to get it right has received over 3,000 views and a very positive response from families, councils and veterinarians.
Cathy Beer is the Founder of Pets4Life. After over 20 years in the corporate world as a professional marketer, Cathy pursued her passion for pet welfare and created Pets4Life in 2013 after interviewing leaders in the companion animal welfare space. Cathy has given a number of presentations at pet events.
Cathy is a final year student at the Delta Institute of Australia to attain a Cert IV Companion Animal Services and an accredited Delta dog trainer. Cathy is a voluntary member of Willoughby Council’s Companion Animals Committee. She lives in Sydney with her husband John and two foster doggies, Twinkle and Fluffy.
‘Every animal deserves a good life, not just a life of existence’ – Pets4Life’s manifesto.
As Australia’s leading pet travel company, Jetpets safely and comfortably transports thousands of pets around the country and the globe every year. We love nothing more than reuniting and bringing families together. We do so with an experienced team of pet travel experts, comprising of Pet Travel Consultants, Pet Handlers and Resident Vets. We provide a complete pet travel service, taking care of everything involved in transporting a pet from their home to their final destination. For helpful information on pet travel related topics visit www.jetpets.com.au, or contact a Pet Travel Expert on 1300 668 309.