Unconditional love changing lives – over 1,000 entries received!
The Jetpets Companion Animal Rescue Awards is thrilled to announce the FINALISTS of the 2019 Awards, which celebrate and recognise achievements in the rescue, rehabilitation and rehoming of companion animals Australia-wide.
186,000 pets remain unclaimed in Australia’s pounds and shelters every year¹, and thousands of volunteers dedicate their time to finding homes for surrendered and abandoned animals. The Rescue Awards is the platform to showcase excellence and innovation in rescue. In its second year, the program attracted more than 1,000 entries – more than double that of last year’s!
“We received many excellent industry submissions from around the country. The finalists have not only demonstrated best practice in animal care, but also ensure the sustainability of their organisation for the future” said Cathy Beer, Rescue Awards founder and rescue advocate from Pets4Life, an independent education resource for cat and dog guardians.
“Hundreds of entries of pet adoption and foster care were received for the Advocate® People’s Rescue Story category. The judges were moved by extraordinary stories of resilience and human-animal bond. The entries are an inspiration to rescue organisations to continue their efforts in saving and rehoming companion animals,” she said.
This year, Jetpets is again the Platinum Rescue Hero and naming Partner. Sandy Matheson, Jetpets Managing Director, said: “Jetpets is proud to support The Companion Animal Rescue Awards in its second year. It has been fantastic to watch the program gain momentum as we all continue to celebrate the inspiring work rescue groups and volunteers achieve day in and out for animals around Australia. The awards are a very humbling initiative to be involved in and I congratulate all of the finalists.”
The Finalists were determined by a panel of highly respected judges who have donated their time and expertise to assess the Rescue Awards entries.
- Nell Thompson, Coordinator for Getting 2 Zero (G2Z) and Secretary of the Australian Institute of Animal Management (AIAM).
- Tim Vasudeva, Director of Corporate Affairs at Animals Australia.
- Vickie Davy, Co-Founder & joint CEO of PetRescue, not for profit organisation that brings thousands of rescue pets face-to-face with thousands of potential adopters every day.
- Dr Anthony Bennett, Veterinarian & Co-star of Lifestyle Channel’s TV series Village Vets.
- Sandy Matheson, Founder & Managing Director of Jetpets, a pet travel company focused on the safety, comfort and welfare of pets.
- Dr Anne Fawcett, Animal Welfare Veterinarian. Dr Anne’s blog is smallanimaltalk.com.
- Dr Michael O’Donoghue, Small animal veterinarian and Co-Founder of ‘People and Pets’, a nationwide grief and pet loss counselling service.
- Dr Alex Hynes, Emergency Veterinarian & co-star in the new series of Bondi Vet TV show.
- Anne Boxhall, Companion animal welfare advocate with 28 years’ experience in sheltering and rescue.
- Dr Liisa Ahlström, Veterinarian, Companion Animal Products, Bayer Animal Health
- Dan White, Senior Brand Manager, Bayer Animal Health
- Cathy Beer, Founder of Pets4Life
More about the Rescue Awards Judges.
Outstanding Council Animal Shelter: Sutherland Shire Animal Shelter (NSW)
Innovation in Rescue: AMRRIC One Health Program (NT), Lort Smith and Pets of the Homeless (VIC), Project Meow Geelong Cat Kindness Initiative & Desexing (VIC)
Community Education and Outreach Program: Second Chance Animal Rescue Outreach Program (VIC), PAWS: Pet Awareness & Safety Program (Camden Council, NSW), MADI Mobile Cat Desexing (Lost Dogs Home, VIC), Spring Valley Program (Claws and Paws, NSW)
Volunteer of the Year: Sue Quartermain of RSPCA Victoria, Jill Potter of Forever Friends Animal Rescue (VIC), Margaret Panetta of RSPCA Victoria, Robert Morgan of RSPCA Victoria, Angela Hards of Pakenham Pony Rescue (VIC)
Advocate® People’s Rescue Story: Our 10 finalists are:
- Tilly & Rocky (Victoria) adopted from Riverina and District Animal Rescue Inc
- Rhiannon & Olaf (South Australia) adopted from RSPCA Lonsdale Shelter
- Sally, Beau & Sandy (Victoria) adopted from RSPCA Burwood
- Ann & Marilyn (Victoria) adopted from Hear No Evil
- Jack & Skip (Western Australia) adopted from A1 Wheatbelt Dog Rescue
- Bronwyn, Kodi & Omlette (New South Wales) adopted from Hunter Animal Rescue
- Josie & Astro (Victoria) adopted from RSPCA NSW Yagoona
- Chuan & Sasha (New South Wales) foster fail from Animal Welfare League NSW
- Mary & Tommy (Western Australia) adopted from DFL Pound Rescue
- Lisa & Team Golden Oldies (New South Wales) adopted from Golden Retriever Rescue
Read the amazing and very moving stories from our 10 Advocate® People’s Rescue Story finalists.
The winners will be celebrated at the Jetpets Companion Animal Rescue Awards cocktail ceremony at 6.15pm AEST on 12 September 2019 during the 8th National G2Z Summit & Workshops at the Mantra-On-View, Sunshine Coast, Queensland. This special event is free for G2Z delegates and Rescue Awards Supporters thanks to our Official Rescue Awards Ceremony Supporter, Nature’s Gift. Can’t make it to the event? Watch the Rescue Awards ceremony live via our Facebook page at @rescueawards.